PAGES

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

I Have a Limp



I went surfing for a picture depicting the story of Jacob wrestling with God (Genesis 32:22-31). It took me longer than I anticipated because most of them looked like they were playing London Bridge. This one looks like they're doing the Tango:

I decided to go with this one because they look like they're getting after it:
While serving as a chaplain for the Laramie Police Department, I participated in a Custody Control training class where we did a ground fighting exercise. When they told us they were 30-second rounds, I thought to myself, "These are COPS?! That's a pretty low bar". It was the most exhausting thirty seconds I've ever experienced. I've never been that sore for that many days.  It hurt more than the tazing I once got at another training.

Jacob was actually winning the match, refusing to let him go until he received a blessing.  God dislocated his hip and, as a result, walked with a limp for the rest of his life.

For the REST OF HIS LIFE.

When the panic attacks started a little over seven years ago, I understood very little of what was happening. I did, however, know that God and I had started a ground fight, that I was getting my ass kicked and that it would somehow mark me for life. I also knew that nothing would ever be the same.

A gross overprescription of Xanax for the first year and a half caused an array of bizarro symptoms (trembling, facial twitches, stuttering, agoraphobia, and startle responses to name a few). Getting jacked on psychotropic meds actually amplifies the symptoms it's intended to treat (reader beware). Once discovered, these symptoms had reduced by half within a couple of weeks. The next 40% took about 5 years.

That leaves 10% and I'm still waiting. Loud, crowded places are hard. I hate going into Walmart (I think it's where Satan shops). Weird, high pitched noises freak me out. I get shifty-eyed when I get confused.

On August 25, I'll hobble through the classroom doors at Denver Seminary with a limp. Maybe I get to keep that 10% to remind me that God has a not-so-funny way of blessing me. -rc

11 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you. So proud to be your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thrilled for you and Tara ... inspired by your story and encouraged that God continues what He begins in each of us ... maybe there's hope for this old lady too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What old lady, Christina? You don't mean YOU, do you? We're just getting old enough to have something to say! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will always be one of my hero's, look forward to following the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am excited to follow this journey with you and Tara. It is so mind boggling how the events in the life of one can affect the events in the life of another. The wrestling, the fear, the awakening, and always the unanswered. I, for one, will climb into this boat with you and follow in ways I cannot explain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bless The Lord for the ministry of you both to me at Laramie, and for His sovereign placement of you in my life to lead me to the man I call husband. "Those who sow in tears bearing the seed for sowing, shall reap with shouts of joy." I'm excited to see this fulfilled in your lives. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful verse, Whitney! I think it describes perfectly what is happening in us these days. We love you, Elliot and your quiver full of arrows (Ps. 127:4-5).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for being so real and transparent. Sometimes I think I have a dislocated body! Unfortunately I often wrestle with God not for a blessing but out of my own stubborn bullheaded desires. I am fortunate that God's grace goes deeper than my deepest sin. Blessings on y'all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacob knew a little something about bullheaded desires. It's easy for me to assume that he asked for the blessing out of healthy motives. The beauty of God's grace is that we come as we are: broken, weak and needy.

      Delete
  9. "It hurt more than the tazing I once got at another training."

    What?!?

    So glad you're writing this out and I'll be looking for more. Can't wait to see what August holds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing Raul. It sounds like you have gotten back up and kept moving, that is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete